Wednesday, June 9, 2010

To dye or not to dye...

... that is the question. I seem to be getting more and more white hairs on my head everyday. I'm trying to decide if I should start coloring or not. I don't really want white hairs but on the other hand, I'm not sure I'm really prepared for the upkeep of keeping my hair colored. And, my hair grows really fast, so I'd have to color pretty often.

The other question is if I do start coloring, what color do I choose? During college and my early 20s, I was fond of that shade of red which is practically purple, much to the dismay of my parents.

Do you color your hair? Why? And, if so, how and why do you choose the color? Do you do it yourself or go to the salon?

Argh. I hate making decisions of this nature...

2 comments:

  1. Yes! I color my hair. Mostly I just experimented with color until it got too expensive. I've stopped getting highlights & lowlights. I've done dark brown, blonde, and red. Now I just try to get a color that is very close to my natural color, so it's not so expensive to keep up and the color lasts longer. I've both colored my own hair & gone to the salon). I think I prefer going to the salon. I think you should go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also a bottle brunette. I started getting gray hair at age 19, but I had been dying my hair for a long time before that.

    I do it myself and I use a shade close to my natural color. In fact, after this baby comes, dying my hair is one of the first currently verboten activities on my list. I will do that even before I drink a beer. I am sick of looking at all this gray hair. :(

    If you can afford it, go to a salon. It is so nice to sit back and have someone else do all the work. My hair also grows really fast, so I like to dye every six weeks. The cost and the hassle of making appointments is why I do it at home. But you can always do maintenance at home and go to the salon for a full dye job every six months or year.

    ReplyDelete