Thursday, June 24, 2010

Summer TV 2010

I'm somewhat ashamed to admit what my favorite new show this summer is. Can you guess what it is?

I was so hoping that Fox's The Good Guys would be it - and I do enjoy that show. TGG has grown funnier as it has found its footing. I'd even go so far as to say that Bradley Whitford's mustache should have its own billing in the credits, lol. In short, Bradley Whitford's throwback to the 80s cop and Colin Hanks' straight man cop are an amusing, if light, duo. Definitely summer fare - little to no thought involved and several chuckles an episode.

I tried ABC's The Gates and Scoundrels. Both had oddly low production values for network television. The Gates was slightly better than Scoundrels but I don't plan on revisiting either. Let's just say that The Gates fares poorly in comparison to its same night competition, True Blood. Scoundrels was already done better by FX - The Riches. If you like the idea of Scoundrels but not the actual execution, check out The Riches with Eddie Izzard and Minnie Driver. It's available on dvd.

Believe it or not, ABC Family's Pretty Little Liars is my favorite new show of the summer. It's an interesting teen drama and is filling the hole left by Gossip Girl quite nicely. I'd even go so far as to say that it's better than this last season of GG. (I do miss me some Chuck Bass though.)

Of the various returning summer shows I've seen so far, USA's Burn Notice is still entertaining, Royal Pains less so. HBO's True Blood is off to a quick start. I've found the episodes so far quite entertaining but I do wonder if they're introducing to many new characters and plotlines too quickly. Still, I'll watch TB as long as Alexander SkarsgÄrd is on it as Eric Northman. As I've said on facebook and twitter, I really wish they'd just go ahead and make it the Eric & Pam Show (as long as they gave Lafayette a show too, lol.). I'm also looking forward to the return of ABCF's Make It or Break It.

How's your summer tv watching going? Seen anything entertaining or interesting?

No comments:

Post a Comment