Thursday, April 1, 2010

Music - I'm stuck in a moment I can't get out of

Taste in music is such a personal thing. I used to make fun of my dad because it seemed like his preferences in music were stuck in the 60s and 70s when he was in his teens and twenties. I grew up listening to The Beatles, early Chicago (before they sucked), the Doobie Brothers, The Eagles, James Taylor, Peter, Paul & Mary, Harry Chapin, etc., when he'd play them on his record player. (He still has all of his vinyl to this day.)

I still like a lot of that music - and have a lot of it on cd or mp3 - but my favorite music is from when I was a teenager and in my twenties. U2 having a concert tour? I'm there. Green Day or REM releasing a new cd? Purchased. Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill is still one of my favorite albums ever. I pop it in the cd player whenever I'm ticked off and sing along. I immediately feel better.

Don't get me wrong, there is stuff that I like that has come out since then - Hot Fuss by The Killers is a favorite, as is Norah Jones' Come Away With Me - it's just that there is so much crap out there, too. Or do we like some music better because it is comfortable and familiar and we know in advance what its connotations are? Who the heck is Justin Bieber? I could care less; I can't even tell you what he sings but he's all over my favorite websites, magazines, etc.

I guess my question is this: Do our tastes in music stop evolving at a certain age? What is your favorite artist/album?

No comments:

Post a Comment