Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Dreams

Do you remember your dreams? I don't really. I wake up sometimes thinking, "Hey! That would make an awesome book!" By the time I get to a place where I can record it, it's gone. I don't even know if it's a good dream or a bad dream at this point.

I do have three recurring dreams that I remember. None of them are pleasant - I'd rather not remember these either. I've even figured out why I have two of them all though I'm still speculating on the cause of the third.

The first is is kind of bizarre - I dream I've lost all of my teeth. I usually have this dream after I've said something I really regret, whether I've spilled a secret or said something someone else was hurt by. I guess this is my mind's way of telling me to be more careful about what I say.

The second is that a tornado is coming. I can hear the wind blowing. I usually wake up and find that the mask for my sleeping machine has gotten knocked out of place and I'm really hearing the air rushing out.

The third dream is definitely a nightmare. For some reason, my transcripts from high school have been audited and it's been discovered that I didn't really have enough credits to graduate from high school so I have to retake my senior year. And it has to be at the school, not by correspondence. I haven't figured out what the significance of this is. I can tell you that it completely freaks me out, even more than losing all of my teeth. High school was not a particularly happy time for me; I really don't want to go back there if I can avoid it.

What about you? Do you have any recurring dreams/nightmares? What do you think causes them?

1 comment:

  1. I've typed this comment out three times and LiveJournal is not letting me post it with my information. So let's try it via twitter and cross our fingers.

    I usually write my dreams down as soon as I can after I wake up. Even if I don't do it right away, some of the more significant dreams I can remember for weeks or even years after I've had them.
    I've only had one recurring dream in my life, and I only had it 2 or 3 times when I was about seven years old. In it, I'm on the grounds of the church we attended at the time, it's night, and I'm being chased by a giant. I finally escape to an upstairs bathroom, and on the toilet seat I find a can of tuna fish and a note from my mom, telling me to stay put and assuring me that everything will be all right.
    I also have a recurring theme in many of my dreams that involves me being chased by dinosaurs, usually the dangerous ones such as Velociraptor or T-Rex. This, I know, stems from seeing Jurassic Park when I was six years old, a movie that instilled in me a simultaneous fear of and fascination with dinosaurs that has lasted my entire life. I usually have these dinosaur dreams when I'm stressed or upset, so I see them as a symbol of whatever is bothering me at the time.

    ReplyDelete