Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Something MUST be said...

I recently read an article at www.theatlantic.com debating the merits of Zac Efron and Miley Cyrus as actors and whether or not they have a future in Hollywood. The author of the article was of the opinion that Zac was a better actor and that he had more of a future as an actor than Miley, an assessment that I tend to agree with.

The part that I found interesting was that those who made comments all came out in favor of Miley, often arguing that her poor acting can be excused by because of her age and that she'll improve with time. They were just wrong... I think Miley's 15 minutes are almost up.

It is true that acting can improve with time and practice just like any other skill. However, I don't think age necessarily has that much to do with raw talent. I offer you three examples where the actor was better as a child than as an adult: Dakota Fanning practically stole I Am Sam from Sean Penn, one of the most respected actors in Hollywood. Anna Paquin won an Academy Award for best supporting actress for her work in The Piano with Holly Hunter and Harvey Keitel. Lastly, Haley Joel Osment was good in The Sixth Sense and Pay It Forward. They've all been in more recent works; just not anywhere near the same quality.

What do you think?

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you about Miley's acting ability, however that has very little to do with her future in Hollywood. There is an entire generation of children who ADORE her. ADORE her. They have seen her more hours a day on the Disney channel than they have seen their parents in real in life. They recognize her voice. They know her face no matter what color her hair is. And when she makes a movie they'll go and see it the same way one makes a trip to see an old friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is true that there is an entire generation of children that adore her. But the same can be said of the Olsen twins, Hilary Duff and David Cassidy. Every decade seems to have a teen idol or two that are everywhere and then suddenly disappear. I'm hoping that is the case for Miley. I have nothing against her personally, I just don't think that she's that talented. I completely blame the Disney marketing machine...

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg - i didn't realize that anna pacquin was the girl in the piano - loved that movie!

    ReplyDelete