Saturday, May 15, 2010

Who's the perv?

By now you've probably seen the video of the five 8- or 9-year-olds dancing to Beyonce's Single Ladies. If you haven't, check it out:



I've read a great many comments on different websites about this video, all of them arguing about whether or not it's age appropriate for the dancers involved. Is it the choreography? the costumes? Or are the people who have a problem with it the real pervs for thinking that way in terms of little girls?

While I personally think the choreography isn't appropriate for children that age, I also know that it's no different than what is being taught at hundreds of dance studios across the nation. Same thing with the costumes.

I think our society has a tendency to treat children as miniature grown-ups rather than the kids they really are. Just go look at the children's clothing area at Walmart or Target or Dillard's. It's like once the girls hit age 5 or so, all of the clothing available is for very small adults rather than children.

Several years ago, I drew my cousin Emma's name for Christmas. She was about the same age then as the little girls in the video. Her mom suggested that I get her some clothes from Mary Kate & Ashley's line. I had to look really hard to find clothing that didn't look like it would belong on a hoochie mama. I was horrified and have wondered ever since how parents find decent, age appropriate clothing for their children while not scarring them for life with unfashionable attire.

And, as for the folks who think it's pervy to even have this cross your mind, in these days of sexual and internet predators, you have to think like that in order to properly protect your family.

For the record, I think the little girls are very talented and obviously put a lot of work into their routine. I think the parents are at fault for allowing their dance teacher to plan such an age inappropriate routine and costume.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment