Thursday, September 2, 2010

Sewing and self-realization

I decided that I wanted to learn how to sew. My friend April offered to teach/help me with my first project. I selected a pillow case dress since it seemed fairly simple and straightforward for a first-time seamstress.



It was an eye-opening experience and I learned some things about myself that probably should have been self-evident but were news to me. While I have almost limitless amounts of patience when it comes to dealing with people on the phone, the constant measure, cut, press, piece, sew, cycle got a little tedious after a while. I am not the small detail person that I thought I was, lol.

On the other hand, I loved the extremely satisfying feeling of having created something unique in a matter of hours. April's ready to get started on our next project; I'm not quite there yet, but I'm definitely inclined to give it another go.

What about you? Is there anything crafty that you like to do that you'd recommend to others?

2 comments:

  1. I'm thinking about trying sewing as well. As a matter of fact, I think I might have Carol teach me when I'm in LA for Christmas. I took a class last month where were taught how to make a pillow. I quickly realized I was the worst in the class and I need personal attention. Hopefully, Carol is nice and patient!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recommend the pillowcase dress! Not a lot of cutting, mostly straight seams and a very manageable size.

    Carol would probably be an excellent teacher! Maybe we should have a sewing day while you're down here...

    ReplyDelete