Monday, July 12, 2010

Rump Shaker at the Nursing Home

As you know by now, I worked for a year and a half at a nursing home in Winnfield as an activity director. As part of my job, I'd go from room to room providing residents with activities in room or inviting them to join group activities.

I realized over time that when I went in many of the rooms that the t.v.'s were always turned on BET or some other station playing videos of women doing some rather scandalous dances in even more scandalous clothing. I (wrongly as it turned out) figured that the nursing aids were putting the t.v.'s on those stations while they worked in the room and just didn't change the channel when they left.

Gradually, I came to the realization that it was only happening in the rooms where men were living. And that, boys and girls, is when I realized that the phrase "dirty old man" did, in fact, have basis in truth, lol.

It does make me wonder, though. When people's personalities change drastically as they age, is it a sign of their true self coming out, of their social filters failing? Or is it just that they are now essentially a different person with different interests?

No comments:

Post a Comment