Monday, July 26, 2010

Geek @ Heart

I've realized that I'm a geek. I don't know why this comes as a surprise to me, but it does. I should have known this. I've always been a fan of sci-fi - movies, books, t.v., you name it.

A regular reader asked where I've been all week. The answer is that I began watching Farscape which aired on the Sci-fi Channel in the early 00s. I've watched three seasons in less than a week (and that's in addition to going to work). It's really well written and acted, even by the puppets from Jim Henson's studio. Yes, that's right. Puppets. Two of the main characters are actually played by puppets.

It's filled with action and intrigue and there have been some really interesting plot lines about prejudice and what it means to serve others. I still have a season and a made for t.v. movie to go. I understand that it was cancelled unexpectedly and the movie is to tie up loose ends. At least it got that much which is more than I can say for Deadwood, Pushing Daisies, or any one of numerous other shows.

2 comments:

  1. I've realized that I'm a geek. I don't know why this comes as a surprise to me, but it does. I should have known this. I've always been a fan of sci-fi - movies, books, t.v., you name it.

    So funny - I had the same epiphany about 3 years ago. I've always liked a lot of fantasy and sci-fi stuff, but didn't read comic books, play Dungeons and Dragons, go to conventions, etc, so I never really thought of myself as a geek. But then I went to WonderCon. And then I started reading a couple of comic books (both continuations of shows I'd loved). And then I thought about how I've always loved sci-fi and fantasy movies. And books. And TV shows. So, I'm not about to start dressing as a storm trooper, but I'm definitely somewhere on the geek spectrum :)

    Haven't gotten into Farscape, though I have friends who love it. I was sad, but not at all surprised when Pushing Daisies got canned. Still haven't seen Season 2, partially because I know it isn't resolved, but just over. Story of my TV-watching life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny how "geek" was one of the worst things to be called back in high school. Now, of course, geeks are ruling the entertainment landscape, so we have a lot more street cred.

    And the young geeks following in our footsteps have more support for their geekdom--it's easier for them to connect with each other and feel good about the things they like.

    ReplyDelete