Saturday, February 5, 2011

Sweet Sarah C.

Fourteen years ago now, I taught a class of two-year-olds part-time in a mother's day out program. I had just dropped out of college and was aimlessly looking for a job when this opportunity fell into my lap. It was a lot of fun and led to lots of extra babysitting jobs (gotta love that cash!). I even got along extremely well with my partner. It was a great year.

Anyway, one of my kids, Sarah C., was an absolute sweetheart. She had apple cheeks (I still want to pinch those cheeks!) with brown hair and eyes, and when she spoke it was with the cutest little lisp. Sarah got along well with the other kids or could entertain herself, and was eager to participate in every activity. In other words, she was a teacher's dream.

One day at nap time, I was rubbing the back of another child, trying to coax him to go to sleep. On the next mat over, Sarah poked her head up and piped up sweetly, "Mith Katie, will you wub me?" To which I replied, "Sarah, honey, of course I love you. I love all my boys and girls."

My sweet Sarah shot me an aggravated look and said, "NO MITH KATIE, WUB ME." You could practically hear the all caps in her words. When she saw that I still didn't get it, she grabbed my spare hand and proceeded to stroke it down her back. "WUB ME."

So, Sarah C., this story is for you. It's been 14 years since I saw you last and I still love you. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment